Ferro Boron is a Ferro Alloy composed of Iron and Boron with a Boron content ranging from 10% to 20%,with the minor elements content - especially Aluminium,Silicon,Carbon,Manganese,Copper - being the defining factor of the grade of product. The adding of Ferro Boron to an alloy can increase the deep quench ability and wash resistance of the alloy which is finally produced.
|Products||B||C % max||SI % max||Al % max||S % max||P% max|
According to the carbon content, Ferro Boron (boron content: 5-25%) can be divided into low carbon (C≤0.05% ~ 0.1%,9% ~ 25%B) and medium carbon (C≤2.5%,4% ~ 19%B). Ferro Boron is a strong deoxidizing agent and boron additive in steelmaking.The biggest role of boron in steel is that it can significantly improve the hardenability and replace a large number of alloy elements only with a very small amount, in addition, it can also improve the mechanical properties, cold deformation properties, welding properties and high temperature properties.
The world's largest producer of Ferro Boron is China, followed by India and Turkey.
The manufacturing of Ferro Boron is carried out in two ways:
- Carbothermic reduction of boric acid in the presence of carbon steel in an electric arc furnace
- Aluminothermic reduction of boric acid in the presence of iron and sometimes magnesium to achieve lower carbon content
The uses of Ferro Boron include:
- The improvement of hardenability of low alloyed steels.
- The boration surface treatment of steels.
- The reduction of nitrogen.
- The manufacturing of NdFeB permanent
- The manufacturing of metallic glass.